Questions to Feb. 2021 DA Candidates - Dexter Wimbish

We have yet another election coming up in our area this coming Feb. 9th, this time for Griffin Circuit District Attorney. Again, to try and be a more informed voter, I sent an e-mail to each of the candidates with some questions.

Here's the reply from Dexter Wimbish, the challenger:

Mr. Dolan, 

Thank you for your questions. Please see my responses.

  1. What are your thoughts about reform back to a more rehabilitative justice system, rather than the punitive system we have now? I am in full support if a rehabilitative/restorative justice system. We need to punish serious and violent offenses,  but we have to move away from a system that is overwhelmingly punitive.
  2. What is your stance on victimless crimes, including but not limited to marijuana possession/use? These crimes should be be handled via pretrial diversion programs. I agree with the decriminalization of the possession of marijuana less than an ounce.
  3. What is your stance on prosecuting gun charges for merely being present in “off limits” locations such as schools and court houses? I believe in such restrictions in order to provide for public safety. I would provide an exception for licensed teachers, administrators, and court personnel as long at the weapons are not carried inside the premises.
  4. Elected officials have a role in upholding the Constitution. How would you deal with a law that you regard to be unconstitutional? Can you give an example of a law that you would regard to be unconstitutional? I believe the Georgia Citizens Arrest statute is unconstitutional and as such I would prosecute such a case and seek to have it overturned.
  5. This is a question that was asked by a friend of mine: “My house was burglarized three years ago, I helped them catch the guy, the government has my stuff, and we're still awaiting trial! What can be done to fix that and will you do it?” The process has to be streamlined. Better investigations will lead to many cases not being brought to simply try and force individuals to plead a matter out. 

Dexter M. Wimbish, Esq

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Personal Voting Guide for Fall 2018

Red Flags and Precrime