Questions to Feb. 2021 DA Candidates - Marie Broder

We have yet another election coming up in our area this coming Feb. 9th, this time for Griffin Circuit District Attorney. Again, to try and be a more informed voter, I sent an e-mail to each of the candidates with some questions.

Here's the reply from Marie Broder, currently appointed to the position since the previous elected DA was appointed to a judicial seat:

Mr. Dolan,

Thank you for reaching out and for your thoughtful questions. I answered them as best I could. It is heartening to hear from citizens that are engaged. In addition to these answers, I also encourage you to google me to see some cases I've tried, check out marieforda.com, or look at my office Griffin Judicial Circuit Facebook page or website for what we've been up to at http://www.dagriffincircuit.org/.

  • What are your thoughts about reform back to a more rehabilitative justice system, rather than the punitive system we have now?

I receive this question a lot, and people are often very surprised to hear that we are already moving in that direction. We have seen an enormous amount done in Atlanta regarding criminal justice reform, the creation of accountability courts, and juvenile justice reform. I am extremely active with our Drug Court in Spalding and Fayette Counties and an ardent supporter of our Spalding County Veteran's Court and Mental Health Court. Our juvenile judges are very active in supporting rehabilitation for juveniles passing through the system, and I am working with community members in forming mentorship programs in Fayette and Spalding County. The problem that we often face is there are frankly a lack of options in the community for people who need rehabilitation. No one can force anyone to go to a rehabilitation facility, and when they are charged with a crime, I only have the accountability courts or three state run rehabilitation facilities as options. Increasing options must be a focus of the community. 

I have seen the extreme trauma inflicted on families impacted by violent crime, home invasion, and burglaries. I could not envision a scenario where I would support anything other than a punitive response to violent crime.

  • What is your stance on victimless crimes, including but not limited to marijuana possession/use?

First, I do not prosecute simple possession of marijuana in Fayette County. We have a State Court and city courts that handle that, so I would encourage you to reach out to those officials for a response on their stance on marijuana possession. I only prosecute marijuana if there is dealing involved. I often hear people say that drug crimes are "victimless" crimes, so I assume that is what you refer to in your question. I disagree that drugs are victimless crimes. I have watched heroin, methamphetamine, cocaine, pills, and other substances just ravage families. I truly believe that the kids that are in foster care, or the mother who loses their child to overdose would qualify as a victim. I am passionate about this, which is why I aggressively prosecute drug traffickers and dealers.

 I will refer to my answer to your first question, however, and say that I am also very passionate about getting those who need help with their addiction. I worked very closely with drug court, and I have seen those at the end of their rope turn their lives around and beat the monster that is addiction. I have been instrumental in changing that mindset within the DA's office. There is also another layer to this that a lot of people don't realize. I have no control over what someone is sentenced to. I can make recommendations for treatment, but if a Judge does not agree, the Judge makes the ultimate call regarding sentencing.

  • What is your stance on prosecuting gun charges for merely being present in “off limits” locations such as schools and court houses?

I strongly believe that guns should not be in schools or in courthouses. I will point to the school shootings and courthouse shootings as an example. In courthouses, I have seen families with their emotions running extremely high, and they are under enormous stress. I've been confronted by angry defendants and their families on multiple occasions. I would be very concerned if these individuals had a gun on them when they confronted me. There were two occasions that I was afraid that I wouldn't get home to my daughter and husband, and I am afraid that I might not have if these individuals were armed. All of that to say, I am firm on these locations being gun free. I am, however, a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment, and our right to bear arms.

  • Elected officials have a role in upholding the Constitution. How would you deal with a law that you regard to be unconstitutional? Can you give an example of a law that you would regard to be unconstitutional?

It would be inappropriate for me to answer this question as District Attorney. I could never comment as to the constitutionality of a law because that rests solely on the shoulders of the judiciary. 

  • This is a question that was asked by a friend of mine: “My house was burglarized three years ago, I helped them catch the guy, the government has my stuff, and we're still awaiting trial! What can be done to fix that and will you do it?”

I feel so much for your friend, Mr. Dolan. We are ALL frustrated with this. Please explain to him or her that we are not allowed to have jury trials right now. Because of COVID-19, the Chief Justice of the Georgia Supreme Court has Ordered a Judicial Emergency, which prevents jury trials from being held anywhere in the State. Without trials, we cannot move cases. This is just as frustrating for me as it is for the victims who have been impacted. We stand ready to try cases just as soon as we are allowed to do so. I am very much hoping for February, but the Judges are telling me it might be March. This does bring me to a very important point. When we are allowed to have trials again, the backlog on the court docket will be the largest we've ever seen. I have a staff in place that is experienced and trial ready! I have also prosecuted every imaginable case, so I stand ready to have as many trials as we need to get this backlog worked down. You want someone in office that is ready to try all of these cases. You definitely do not want a District Attorney's Office that on February 10th will be in complete chaos. I love this Circuit, and I am very passionate about protecting it. 

I hope that I have earned your support in this election. Please research me, and ask around about me if you need more information! 

Thank you,

Marie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Personal Voting Guide for Fall 2018

A Libertarian-minded Defense of Presidential Alerts