What if Trump wins?

I've been lurking lately in a NeverTrump discussion group on Reddit. A Trump Train guy dropped in recently to ask, very respectfully, how NeverTrumpers were going to react personally should Trump win the election. I thought that it was a question worth thinking about, and after I finished writing my reply below, I decided to hold on to it. I might need it in the near future, and some of my friends are bound to be in the same place as I am.
Here's what I said:
Thanks for asking, and more than that, thanks for asking in a spirit of kindness. No matter what our differences of opinion, we need to be kind to each other, that's the only way forward.

Speaking only for myself, when Obama was elected to a second term, I was initially very frustrated. Had to tune out of politics for a short bit. Nothing new or unusual about that, when you stand on principle you have to get used to siding with lost causes.

After the frustration faded, and my wife and I spent some time in prayer, we decided to be practical. Our take-away from the election was that the country wouldn't be turning away from its economic bad decisions any time soon, with or without the Tea Party. We decided that the best thing we could do would be to make the best decisions possible in our own economic life, and prepare for the worst. We went Dave Ramsey on our debts and have been building up our emergency savings. It's been well worth it. The worst hasn't happened yet, but it's still looming, and even if things turn around completely, we will have no regrets over getting our house in order.

Now, what if Trump wins? Again, I can only speak for myself, but my trouble with Trump is that he doesn't seem to have any principles apart from "winning". He lies, he is a bully, he admits it, and he doesn't mind. Even when he promises something I want to hear, I can't trust it, because he changes his position every few minutes.

So, how could I personally respond to such a person gaining the office of President? I think I would have to look again at my own life and try to be better. Examine my principles again, and try to live by them. Teach my children to know what is true and stand up for it, and not be bullies. Find my better self, and encourage others around me to do the same.


I don't know if this is anything close to what you were looking for, but again thanks for asking, this process of answering has been thought provoking for me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"Winning". Wasn't that Charlie Sheen's mantra during his recent meltdown?
DocTom at CSU

Popular posts from this blog

My Personal Voting Guide for Fall 2018

Red Flags and Precrime